How would you describe a successful business person? You might use words like “strong,” “assertive” and “independent.” You might be less inclined to describe the traits of success as “intuition,” “flexibility” or “compassion.”
For many years, business success has been dominated by masculine energy. The focus has been on performance, achievement, and challenge, compared to softer feminine energy encompassing empathy, nurturing, and collaboration.
So, if you want to be a success in business, should you suppress these feminine qualities and instead focus on improving the masculine? Isn’t that what society expects?
Traditionally, maybe, but the world is a-changing, and many organisations are coming to value a combination of both masculine and feminine qualities in the workplace.
Before we start, let’s be clear. This is not about men versus women. We are all a curious mix of both energies; there are many men who embody feminine qualities, and plenty of women who embrace their masculine qualities. This is about recognising that anyone can harness their feminine energies and use them to get ahead in business.
So, what are the key feminine qualities that you can use to your advantage in business? Here are 5 to embrace:
- Intuition. Embracing and acting upon that “gut feeling,” rather than always opting for the logical and rational solution may open new choices and options, and yet we often block our intuition, feeling that the solution to any challenge must be more complicated than our inner voice is telling us. Listening to our intuition often gives clarity to a situation, by cancelling out the “ifs” and “buts” of the logical mind.
Don’t let the noise of other’s opinion drown out your own inner voice.Steve Jobs
2. Empathy. An understanding of the deeper issues surrounding a situation gives you the ability to forge deeper connections with stakeholders, employees, and colleagues. People want to be “heard” as well as “understood” and for that to come from a place of authenticity; because you are genuinely interested and value them, rather than as some tick-box exercise.
Leadership is about empathy. It is about having the ability to relate to and connect with people for the purpose of inspiring and empowering ther lives.Oprah Winfrey
3. Collaboration. Identify the right people to forge connections with and you’ll benefit from a team who will support you when you’re doubting yourself, provide you with different perspectives, and who all have different skillsets. Success rarely comes down to the actions of one person, but rather the collective efforts of several.
People who are truly strong lift others up. People who are truly powerful bring others together.Michelle Obama
4. Vulnerability. Society has long conditioned us to eschew anything less than perfection in everything we do. But perfection does not exist. It often requires the input of others, which is out of our control, leading to feelings of inadequacy, discord, and frustration. In contrast, allowing our human frailties and vulnerability to be seen; admitting mistakes, recognising areas of weakness and opportunities for growth, roots our connection with others far deeper and allows others to appreciate our inner strength and resilience.
Vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity, and change.Brene Brown
5. Humility. Culturally, we often see confidence as a mark of success. But the ability to recognise our own weaknesses, the contribution of others in our own success and to accept others’ viewpoints is a powerful trait and one that inspires the confidence of others in us and our abilities.
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothingAlbert Einstein
The key to a successful business is a combination of both the masculine and feminine qualities, of understanding the value that each trait brings to you as a business person and harnessing the power that emotional intelligence can bring. It’s about finding the balance between the two energies, so as to bring out the best in yourself and to inspire it in others. Your feminine qualities, those superpowers that you may have suppressed or ignored will set you up for the business world that is emerging post-Covid. Embrace them!
If now is the time to invest in your business growth, there are a number of ways that we can work together.
1. With 1:1 coaching. With monthly or weekly sessions available, we’ll work together to create a sustainable, resilient, and successful business, banish the overwhelm and create success on your terms. Find out more here
2. If you’re starting out or have a young business then my Startup to Success coaching programme is for you. You’ll learn all the steps to creating strong foundations upon which to grow your business. Click this link to discover more
3. For those “quick wins” my Coaching Power Hour is a must. You’ll receive actionable steps to help you move past your blocks, gain clarity, and gain the momentum to grow your business. Book your Power Hour here